Knitting and crochet. That first ball of acrylic might be cheap, but before you know it, you're buying the good stuff (merino wool, alpaca, silk, cashmere,... to say nothing about truly exotic fibers like qiviut or vicuna) and enough yarn for a jumper (i.e., sweater) will easily cost you upwards of $100.
- $100 of qiviut, on average, will allow you to knit one sleeve of a sweater. It's no surprise that there's a joke about being able to send your kids to college with the money it'd take to make a rare-fibre sweater or two!
- And then you need to start buying the 'good' brands of needles, and then you find there are books and many magazines devoted entirely to knitting, and then you start getting Attention Deficit Creator Disorder and end up with more yarn then you could knit in a year beginning to take over your house.
- SABLE (Stash Above and Beyond Life Expectancy) - when one accumulates more yarn than one can possibly use in a single lifetime. It's a common hazard for people who knit and/or crochet.
- SABLE is why the second bedroom of this troper's apartment is stuffed full of yarn. Honestly, I don't remember buying half of that stuff. I think it breeds when I'm not looking.
- Don't forget that crochet (and, presumably, also knitting) patterns are usually horribly expensive to buy.
- And if buying expensive yarns isn't bad enough, there's always the urge to spin one's own yarn. Drop spindles aren't too bad, cost-wise, but quality spinning wheels can easily run $500+ .
- The needles oh god the needles! In between the straight needles, the double-points and various lengths of round needles you could end up spending tons of money.
I have 2 boxes of yarns and threads, 2 sets of crochet hooks, a bunch of knitting needles (mostly straight needles but I have 2 circular needles and 2 sets of double pointed ones), row counter (I lost one of them), tapestry needles, knitting needle caps/covers and a latch hook.
Most of the books and magazines I have are from Booksale so they're cheap ;-) I find 65 PHP magazines (roughly 1.5 USD) but I do have certain expensive books which I bought because of the newbie information I learned from them is really awesome.
Yes, I am justifying myself. Am I not?